Thursday, April 22, 2010

I have a confession. I am completely, 100% addicted to “Deadliest Catch” on Discovery. Ever since it came out I have been fascinated with the crabbing industry and every spring I have this little voice in my head that keeps telling me to try and get on a boat, become a greenhorn. In my mind I can see myself being that elusive greenhorn that does everything right and always has energy and who is over qualified and we pull in a record catch. I, however, am terrified at the same time. It’s literally the world’s most dangerous profession! I’m a 22 year old from Boise, what the hell are crabs anyways?!


Honestly it draws a great parallel with academia. Being in school gives you an amazing amount of confidence. I remember when I was in nursing school I just knew that I was going to be this amazing nurse who would bring sweeping reform to Capitol Hill. My illusions of grandeur did not however make up for the fact that I was scared beyond belief of stepping away from a manikin and having someone’s life in my hands. Even now that I’m an education major I’m still scared about venturing out beyond college. I’ve been in school for around 21 years and doing something new is petrifying, however I need to leave eventually. So what I’m saying is that I need to take control of my future.

The career assessments that I took at the career center helped me to make the decision to switch to an education major and they can help you too. Take control of your future, come into the Career Center.

No comments:

Post a Comment