Thursday, March 4, 2010

Alternative Summer Employment pt. 1

Hello March!! You have no idea how long I’ve been waiting to say that. March is the start of so many things, March Madness, the sun not setting at 5pm, spring break and more importantly, for some of you early birds out there, it’s the start of lining up a summer job.

Securing a good summer job can make or break your three-month reprieve from school. If you start your search early enough you can basically have your pick of employment but if you wait you can get stuck with the leftovers, which frankly stinks. I’ve definitely had my share of ‘leftovers’ before but there have been those summers, where I prepared early, and had the time of my life… at camp!

If you are looking for an alternative to your mundane summer job, working at a summer camp might be for you. You get to work with kids, be outside in a cool environment, learn quirky camp songs, make smores, live in a cabin all summer, and your meals are covered! Where can you go wrong? At the summer camp I worked at we got to do high ropes courses and archery with the kids, take them rock climbing and hiking, tubing and swimming, oh we even had a blob! (Heavyweights reference)!

Working at camp was a life-changing experience for me and at the end of the summer I didn’t want to leave (a first for my summer jobs). There are thousands of summer camps across America, from as close as McCall and as far away as Maine, and most of them have a hard time getting a full staff.

So if you are looking for an alternative to summer employment, take a look at a summer camp. You’ll change the life of the kids and they might just change yours too.



No comments:

Post a Comment